Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Falling love with “Fall leaves” in Kyoto (Yo Yo)

After arrived Japan on September, I realized that I can find kyoto’s travel brochures everywhere. All information about Kyoto are displayed on the shelves by Waseda Co-oP, and no doubt, all those brochures are about “Kouyou”—fall leaves or Red leaves in English. People who have studied Japanese must know the word “Kouyou.” Since it is called “Fall Leaves,” which means you can only see those nature creatures in fall. I was lucky to get to Japan before Kouyou season, which is November. I have been told by all different kinds of people that I should go to Kouyou trip. In addition, I have learned it in text book when I was studying in U.S. I felt more excited about Kouyou. It is normal that leaves become red or yellow in the fall, but what makes Japanese fall leaves special is the most attraction to me. What makes Japanese proud of their fall leaves is what I was looking forward. When the weather gets colder and colder in November, you can see leaves turning yellow and red while riding trains or walking on the street. Before starting planning Kouyou trip of Kyoto, I got a chance to go Takao Mountain in Tokyo for an early Kouyou trip. However it was not as amazing as I expected due to an early visit, even Takao Mountain is the best Kouyou place in Tokyo.
With my wandering I had my Kyoto trip, where I officially felled in love with Kouyou. The first stop in Kyoto was Kyomizu Temple. Even though it was so crowd and I can hardly walk.  I have to admit that if you want to be amazed by Kouyou in Japan, you have to come to Kyoto. Kyoto is the place where you could appreciate this nature creature the most. The whole mountain is decorated by red, but not all red. Every piece of leave seems like has been taken care, through sunshine they look even more bright and pretty. There are a lot Kouyou place in Kyoto, but except Arashi Mountain most places are temples or shrines. However, in Kyoto you can also appreciate Kouyou by not going to any tourists’ places. In the fall, the city of Kyoto is all covered by Kouyou. The reason that temples or shrines are recommended is their culture matters. If you get to know story or history whenever you go to a Kouyou place, the meaning of Kouyou will be different, too. Kouyou in Kyoto has accompanied this old this for hundreds of years. They tell stories. Even different Kouyou places in Kyoto show different feelings. In Arashi Mountain, they look more spacious, you just want to hug this amazing nature. Different from kouyou in Arashi Mountain,  kouyou in Kyomizu temple look stately. Even the temple is so crowd during the travel seasong, it does not reduce the beauty of kouyou a little.  In Nijo Castle, where important Japanese historical event happened, kouyou are like solders who protected this place for hundreds years.
A lot of place in Kyoto light up during Kouyou season. People can appreciate kouyou even in the night time. Kyomizu temple is one the light up places. I went there at night as my 2nd time because a taxi driver said it was totally different from daytime. The view was amazing at night. It is hard to say which one is better, night or daytime, but you do not want to miss night view of Kouyou. With lights, kouyou looks even more red and bright. You just feel like walking in an unreal world. Somehow it is like those scenes in science fiction movie. The only thing you want to do is keeping pressing camera shutter. Last tip: photos are much better to take at daytime, unless you have really professional camera.
In a word, Fall leaves (Kouyou) in Japan are artworks. If it is possible, do not ever miss the chance to appreciate Kouyou in Kyoto.

No comments:

Post a Comment