Thursday, January 20, 2011

Tokyo (Lin Te Kuan)


    Tokyo is the capital city of Japan and is the city that I am living now. There are a lot of strange things happening in Tokyo every day. I’d like to share some cool things in Tokyo which I discovered while I am living in Tokyo.
    The first thing is the buildings in Tokyo. Tokyo has a lot of earthquakes, so the average heights of buildings in Tokyo are generally low. But there are still some high skyscrapers in Tokyo and most of them are really beautiful. I started to fall in love with architecture since I came to Tokyo because they are so stylish and unique that make me cannot take my eyes off them. For example, buildings in 台場are all so great. My favorite is the building of Fuji television. It is special, pretty and full of the feeling of design. So now I like to carefully look at the buildings in Tokyo and enjoy the beauty that the architects gave us.
    The second thing is the birds on the streets of Tokyo. There are so many crows and pigeons on Tokyo. The crows are all so black and big that they are really scary to me actually. And in Taiwan, people regard a crow as a bad sign. If anyone hears the sound of a crow, it means there is going to happen some bad things in the person’s family. So I felt creepy about crows when I just arrived in Tokyo. Now though I don’t feel creepy anymore but I still don’t like crows. Furthermore, crows like to eat the garbage on the street and make the whole a mess! So I really can’t understand why Japanese don’t afraid or hate crows. As for pigeons, though they are not as scary as crows I still don’t feel comfortable seeing a lot of crows gathering on the streets. What’s most surprising is that people in Tokyo seems too used to these birds that they walk on the streets as if these birds don’t even exist. I can only say that Japanese are so strange but cool!
     The third thing is the close time of shops. I come from Taipei, the capital city in Taiwan. Taipei has another name that is “the city that never sleeps.” It shows that even at night, Taipei is still a bustling city. We even have night markets! (Night market is a kind of shopping place that only opens at night.) So as a person grew up in a city like that, surely I am not used to the early close time of Japan! Though Tokyo is the biggest city in Japan, the shops in Tokyo still close around 9 pm. That is so early to me! I often buy something to eat around 12 am at holidays. But in Tokyo I have no choice but to stay at home at night. If there is anything that open at night, is either karaoke or 居酒屋. So I am surprised to find that such a big city like Tokyo can be so not bustling at night.
    As a foreigner, though a lot of things are weird I still find pleasure in finding these different things. Weird but cool is the best thing to describe Tokyo!

No comments:

Post a Comment