Saturday, January 15, 2011

Japanese characteristics -4 (Lin Te Kuan)

We all know that Japan is a country with really strict laws. As a consequence,
Japan can plan Tokyo differently from other countries. For example, in Shinjuku,
there is an obviously red-light district. In Taiwan, this kind of things and people hide
in some shabby places that normal people can hardly find them. Police and these
people play hide-and-seek every day. Law can hardly punish all of them. However, in

Japan, this kind of red-light district is obvious. Anyone can find them because is too
apparent. I think this is so cool and good. If the government just let these people do
their “business” in the place which government planned, it is far easier for
government to restrict them. In the market, there must be a buyer and thus will a
seller. So this kind of business exists because there is a need of it. So there is no use to
forbid them. Instead of against them, placed them in clear areas and control them with
strict laws is a better way. There won’t be so many troubles if the government let them
exist and restrain them reasonably. So I really admire the way Japanese control these
red-districts.
Japan is also a country thinks highly of manners. One important thing about
Japan is that make-up is compulsory to show one’s manners. In Taiwan, women tend
to advocate not wearing make-up or light make-up. Take myself for example, I started
learning how to wear make-up until I came to Japan. And mine is really light make-up
because I cannot stand heavy make-up. But Japanese girls start to learn make-up since
junior high school, so Japanese college girls around me are all good at make-up and
making themselves really pretty. But for Japanese this is not only for looking pretty
but also an important way of showing manners. Therefore, always remember to wear
make-up if wanting to impress others. Though for foreigners, Japanese might not be
so strict, but it’s better to keep this in mind.
Japanese are also well-known for being doing everything carefully. This is true.
Japanese do everything so carefully that efficiency is really low. I remembered when I
came to Japan, I have to make many certificate. One of the most important certificate
is 外國人登錄證. This is for foreigners in Japan, as the identification card in my
own country. The procedure of applying the card is quick but the time of
waiting to get the card is so long! It took me almost two weeks to get my 外國
人登錄證! In Taiwan, we can get a lot of certificate quickly. But in Japan, in
order to check everything right, the procedure is long. Though I admire the
way Japanese do things but sometimes I truly hope they can take less time to
complete things.
Japanese have their own ways of thinking, doing things and they are proud of
their Japanese ways too. I have a high regard for most of them. But as for the rest of
others, I accept, no criticize and respect. This is a good way of attitude to be happy in
Japan!

No comments:

Post a Comment